1. This makes Dresden the best city destination for Winter: Do it like the locals! Cross country skiing along the river. Dresden has ideal big meadows to go on safely. You can do a tour example from the downtown area to the Blue Wonder Bridge or if you are in good condition: unto the castle of Pillnitz.It won’t look touristy, cause many Dresdner go by ski to work due to the bicycle paths are not free along the river.
2. Spend warming hours in Dresden’s splendid art museums! It’s low season and you don’t need to queue a lot for entrance tickets.You have free sight on to Rafael’s “Sistine Madonna” (Yes, this painting hangs in Dresden!) and on all the other Rembrandts, Vermeers and Rubens, too.
3. Charge your fat reserves for the cold weather in the Chocolate bar (Schokoladenbar in German): Thick hot flavoured very yummy yummy chocolate and fat chocolate cakes, pralinées and muffins are available. Also if you love the new exotic variations you’ll find something too: chilis and peppers, for example.
4. Sledding down the hills: Do it like the little locals. Take a sledge and walk up the hills to dash down rapidly. Do it like the little locals pt.II: Scream: “Bahn frei, Kartoffelbrei!” on your way down. In English: Clear the way, mashed potatoes!
5. Private student parties everywhere!! In the cold winter season , short time before the exams start, students die for everything that is a distraction from learning. If you bring your own beer, nobody will kick you out. It’s quiet normal to do not know the host of the party here. How do find out about a student party? Ask us!